- Read the December Blue Sheet here
- Christmas baking competition – the results are in!
- Welcome to Girlguiding Norfolk County’s 2020 Advent Calendar!
- Build it, decorate it, wear it…
- Christmas Baking Competition
- Don’t forget Amazon Smile for Black Friday
- Norfolk Coast AONB Challenge Webinar session
- Remembrance Day with a difference 2020
- UK Parliament free online workshops for community and youth groups in the East of England
- Living in Lockdown 2020 Challenge Update – Badges now available
- 2019 Trustees report and accounts
- Special Volunteers’ Week Message
- A message from our County President and County Commissioner
- A VE Day Message
- Girlguiding in Gayton versus the virus
- Girlguiding Horsford is being active!
- Norfolk Coast AONB Scout & Guide Challenge
- Our very own radio star!
- What a WOW day!
- Crabbing in Lowestoft
- Royal Norfolk Show 2019
A message from our County President and County Commissioner
It is now over 8 weeks since Girlguiding suspended all face to face guiding activities with immediate effect, due to the COVID-19 (coronavirus) crisis. A week later on 23 March, the Government announced the start of lockdown and life for all of us changed overnight with many new challenges to deal with, such as being a key worker on the front line, working from home, home schooling, furloughing, shielding, self-isolating… to name but a few!
We have been so impressed by the way many of our volunteers have risen to the challenge of keeping their guiding units going by offering activities and meetings using a wide range of social media tools. Had you even heard of Zoom before the lockdown? For some, having a guiding meeting to look forward to on a regular basis is keeping them going and something they enjoy. For others who are struggling to cope with work and the range of challenges listed above, there is just not time to fit in guiding as well. And that is absolutely fine. There is no pressure on anyone to do anything that they are not comfortable with. The clear message from Girlguiding is ‘it’s ok just to be’ and that is the message we want to send to you today. You must do what is right for you – your physical and mental health and that of your family must always be your first priority.
The announcement by the Prime Minister this week about the next phase of the COVID-19 crisis does not give any clear indication as to when face to face guiding will be able to resume. There is a lot of hard work going on behind the scenes at national, regional and county levels to ensure that when we can start up again we are ready and we have the resilience to bounce back. We are learning so much from different ways of working that will be so valuable in the future. The Trustees and County teams are staying in touch via Zoom meetings and regular email updates and we will be holding our first ever virtual County Executive Meeting on Saturday.
Please be assured that however much or however little time and energy you feel you can give to your guiding role at present, you are, and always will be, a valued member of our guiding family in Norfolk. We are so grateful for all you do and your continued support. The most important thing you can do for us now is to stay safe and virus free.
With our very best wishes.
Carol Bundock, GGN County President
Christine Martin, GGN County Commissioner